National

Shillong violence: No night curfew imposed, says Dy CM

Shillong, Aug 20 (IANS) The Meghalaya government has decided not to impose a night curfew in Shillong for now, with Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong on Thursday saying the law and order situation in the state capital remains under control.

Tynsong said the decision followed a review meeting with senior officials, including the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police of East Khasi Hills district.

He said no fresh untoward incident had been reported and the district administration had been instructed to maintain heightened vigilance throughout the night.

Addressing the situation on the Shillong–Guwahati highway, the Deputy Chief Minister said the blockade‑related issues at Jorabat and Khanapara had been resolved through coordination between the administrations of Meghalaya and Assam.

He said vehicular movement along the route was now smooth.

Tynsong said security agencies were using drones and CCTV footage to identify individuals allegedly involved in vandalism and assaults during the recent incidents. He said those found responsible would face action under the law.

“The law will take its own course,” he said.

Rejecting allegations of intelligence failure, Tynsong said permission for the rally had been granted after organisers assured the authorities that it would remain peaceful.

However, he said the presence of some masked participants suggested that certain individuals may have had intentions beyond those communicated to the authorities.

The Deputy Chief Minister assured citizens that the government would take a firm stand against violence and vandalism and ensure that peace and normalcy were restored.

He also pointed to the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order (MMPO) Act, saying the legislation was now in place to deal with situations affecting public order.

On the KSU’s 15‑day ultimatum, Tynsong said the state government had invited union representatives for talks through the Deputy Commissioner. However, he said the union declined the invitation.

The Deputy Chief Minister reiterated that the government’s doors remained open for dialogue and urged all stakeholders to resolve differences through discussion while maintaining peace and public order.

–IANS

tdr/dan

Back to top button

You cannot copy content of this page