AU chief offers condolences over Zimbabwe ferry tragedy as death toll hits 94

Harare, Aug 19 (IANS) African Union (AU) Commission Chairperson Mahmoud Ali Youssouf on Wednesday expressed condolences to the government and people of Zimbabwe following the Lake Kariba ferry disaster, which has claimed 94 lives.
“At this difficult moment of grief, my thoughts and prayers are with the bereaved families and with all those who survived this tragic incident,” Youssouf said on the social media platform X. “I wish them strength, comfort and healing as they cope with this profound loss.”
Youssouf added that the AU stands in solidarity with the people of Zimbabwe and the affected communities.
Official figures showed that, as of Tuesday, 77 passengers had been rescued, 94 bodies retrieved, and fewer than 10 people remain missing, Xinhua news agency reported.
The Zimbabwean government on Tuesday launched a formal inquest into the Lake Kariba ferry capsize disaster, a cabinet minister said.
Acting Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Minister Monica Mutsvangwa told a post-cabinet media briefing in the Zimbabwean capital of Harare that preliminary investigations indicate that the passenger ferry, which capsized on Lake Kariba on August 11, was carrying about 180 passengers and goods, thus exceeding its carrying capacity.
The vessel reportedly capsized after being struck by strong waves. Mutsvangwa said the government notes that the Meteorological Services Department had issued an early warning advising all lake users against sailing.
Mutsvangwa noted 77 passengers were rescued, 93 deceased persons were retrieved as of August 18 while seven people who were confirmed by relatives to have been on the boat are still missing.
“The government has commenced formal investigations which include examining the structural remains of the vessel and probing on operational and compliance issues,” Mutsvangwa said.
Speaking at the same press briefing, Local Government and Public Works Minister Daniel Garwe attributed the accident to human error and negligence by the boat captain, who proceeded with the journey despite early weather warnings from the Meteorological Services Department advising against sailing.
Garwe dismissed speculation that the boat was unfit to sail, confirming it held a valid fitness certificate issued by the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure Development.
The cabinet has approved a full inquest to determine the exact circumstances that led the late captain to disregard early warnings and safety protocols.
–IANS
/as
