FREEDOM PRESS BUREAU
Hyderabad, Oct 10: The number of coronavirus cases in Telangana climbed to 2,10,346 as 1,811 new infections were reported during the last 24 hours, officials said on Saturday.
For the third day in a row, the daily count was below 2,000 mark even as nine more COVID-19 fatalities took the cumulative death toll to 1,217.
The fatality rate stands at 0.57 per cent as against the national average of 1.5 per cent.
Officials said the percentage of deaths due to COVID-19 was 44.96 while the remaining 55.04 had co-morbidities.
Telangana saw more recoveries than new cases in the last 24 hours ending 8 pm on Friday.
With 2,072 more patients getting cured, the total recoveries jumped to 1,83,025. The state’s recovery rate crossed 87 per cent while the national average is 85.7 per cent.
The state now has 26,104 active cases, including 21,551 in home or institutional isolation.
The case load continues to show a declining trend both in the state capital and in districts. Greater Hyderabad reported 291 new cases. For the sixth day in the last one week, the state capital saw a daily count of less than 300.
Medchal Malkajgiri district recorded the second highest number of cases at 171, followed by Rangareddy (138), Nalgonda (108), Karimnagar (100), Bhadradri Kothagudem (81), Khammam (75), and Suryapet (71).
During the last 24 hours, 50,469 tests were conducted to take the total to 35,00,394.
Seventeen government-run laboratories, 44 private laboratories and 1,076 rapid antigen test centres are conducting the tests.
The Public Health and Family Welfare Director’s office said that of the 50,469 samples tested during the last 24 hours, 47,123 were tested in government-run laboratories and 3,346 in private. Of the total samples, 22,206 were primary and 6,056 were secondary.
Samples tested per million population ratio rose further to 94,046. The daily testing target for the state is 5,600 per day as compared with the World Health Organisation (WHO) benchmark of 140 per million per day.
Out of 2,10,346 positive cases so far, 70 per cent (1,47,242) were asymptomatic while the remaining 30 per cent (63,104) were symptomatic.
The data also shows that 64.13 per cent of those tested positive are in the age group of 21-50 while 22.76 are above 51. Those below 20 account for 13.13 per cent of the total.
Officials said 64.28 per cent of those tested positive were males and the remaining 38.72 per cent females.
The data also shows most of the beds in government and private hospitals treating COVID patients are vacant.
Out of total 8,848 beds in 62 government-run COVID hospitals, 6,949 are vacant.
A total 228 private hospitals treating COVID patients have 9,219 beds, of which 6,509 are vacant.