Hyderabad, Oct 7 (IANS) The Covid-19 cases in Telangana surged again on Wednesday with the state reporting 2,154 new infections.
After recording less than 2,000 cases for the last few days, the daily count crossed the mark again, taking the tally to 2,04,748.
Eight more people succumbed to the virus during the last 24 hours. The fatality rate stands at 0.58 per cent against the national average of 1.5 per cent.
Officials said the percentage of deaths due to Covid-19 was 44.96, while the remaining 55.04 had comorbidities.
The state continued to see more recoveries than new infections. A total of 2,239 people recovered during the last 24 hours,
The Covid-19 recovery rate crossed 86 per cent as the state continued to report more recoveries than the daily count of positive cases.
The state on Wednesday reported 2,381 new recoveries, pushing the total number of people recovered to 1,77,008.
With this the recovery rate rose to 86.45 per cent against the national average of 84.9 per cent.
The state now has 26,551 active cases, including 21,864 who are in home/institutional isolation.
Of the fresh cases, 303 were recorded in Greater Hyderabad. Rangareddy district recorded the second highest number of cases at 205 followed by Medchal Malkajgiri (187), Nalgonda (124), Khammam (121), Karimnagar (96), Bhadradri Kothagudem (92), Suryapet (79) and Siddipet (78).
During the last 24 hours, 54,277 tests were conducted. With this the cumulative numbers have gone up to 33,46,472.
Seventeen government-run laboratories, 44 private laboratories and 1,076 Rapid Antigen test centres are conducting the tests.
According to a media bulletin from the office of the director of public health and family welfare, out of 54,277 samples tested during the last 24 hours, 50,239 were tested in government-run laboratories and 4,038 in private. Of the total samples 23,882 were primary and 6,513 were secondary.
Samples tested per million population ratio improved further to 89,910. The daily testing target for the state is 5,600 per day as per the World Health Organisation (WHO) benchmark of 140 per million per day.
Out of 2,04,748 total positive cases so far, 70 per cent (1,43,324) were asymptomatic while the remaining 30 per cent (61,424) were symptomatic.
The data also shows that 64.13 per cent of those tested positive are in the age group of 21-50 years while 22.76 are above 51 years of age. Those under 20 years are 13.13 per cent.
Officials said 64.28 per cent of those tested positive were male, while the remaining 38.72 per cent were female.
The state has 62 government-run Covid hospitals, where 6,893 out of a total 8,868 beds are vacant.
As many as 228 private hospitals treating Covid patients have 9,143 beds, of which 6,485 are vacant.